Rates of Joblessness
The article at this link is interesting because it allows one to figure out which groups of people in American society have been most impacted by the current financial crisis. After manipulating some of the choices, which groups does it appear have fared better, and which groups have fared worse?

5 Comments:
After looking around at this link, I have found that African-Americans have the highest unemployment rate for the races, the men have the highest rate in the gender category, those 15-24 year-old have the highest rate by age, and those without a high school degree have the highest rate. So the African American men between 15 and 24 without a high school degree have been hit the hardest at almost 50% of the unemployment rates.
I think that it shows that we are no different from the economy of the 1920's. We had and have prosperity of a small group of people.
I have to disagree with kristenn2013, because the chart didn't tell the numbers of people in each group, I don't think one can make a blanket statement that suggests only a small group is prosperous. You may be right in what you said, I just don't think it's possible to relate it without more info.
It is interesting how the jobless rate for men has increased farther than the jobless rate for women. This shows that the recession is affecting men more than women. I wonder if that was the same in the 1920s.
I thought that it was kind of unusual that more men are unemployed than women are because in history, men seem to have better circumstances than women do when talking about jobs. I thought that the age range made sense, because employers are more likely to keep a person who has a higher education and typically those who are older have higher educations than those who are younger. The part about education level made sense for this reason, too. I also thought about it in the perspective that people who have been working longer get paid higher salaries. Older people often have been working at their jobs longer than younger people so I would think that this would affect the graph, somewhat. They would have less experience, on the other hand so that would probably affect the graph also. Altogether, I thought that the graph was interesting to look at.
Post a Comment
<< Home