Taxes
We learned how to calculate taxes under a graduated system versus a flat system. What thoughts do you now have about the debate between those two systems?
Crosby's Position: A teacher's job is not to tell students what to think. A teacher's job is to encourage students TO think.
3 Comments:
I think one's opinion is mainly based on what kind of income they make. If they have low incomes or very high incomes then it would be better if there was a flat tax system because there is only a 17% tax rate for them. However if it is a middle class income it would definitely be better if a graduated tax system took place. The graduated tax system is purely based on the income you receive. For a 10% tax you must be making between $9,350 and $17,700 and the percentage just keeps going up depending on the income.
I believe that taxes cause undo problems and stress. Without them, the country would have less stress than they do today. However, this causes other problems with business owners and those who gain from taxes.
It might be better if a person could choose which tax system they could use to do their taxes.
I think that some people will base their answer to this topic off of how much money they make. Generally wealthier people will want the flat tax because graduated taxing means that they will have to pay more than anyone else. I think that The historic Austin Long brings up an interesting point about choosing which one you would pay by. Although that would never happen, it would probably be interesting to see what people choose. I think that most people would choose to pay a graduated income tax, because then it would be based off of the money that they have and it couldn't be based off of someone who makes a higher salary. I think that it would not be very effective to have an optional way of paying money because it would be chaotic and everyone would be doing things differently. I think that the fairer way is the graduated income tax, because this way nobody has to pay more tax than they are able. I wonder if the majority of people would think it’s fair to have the option. I don’t think that they would because some people would be getting off easier than others. This also destroys the purpose of having a flat tax because the purpose is that everyone has to pay the same amount. Graduated tax supporters would be happy that it is based off of how much they make but probably be upset that others are getting off easier. Altogether it would make people happy about their circumstances but upset that others don’t have the same ones. For these reasons, I don’t think that having the option would improve anything in the long run.
Post a Comment
<< Home