The Devil's Advocate

Crosby's Position: A teacher's job is not to tell students what to think. A teacher's job is to encourage students TO think.

Name:
Location: Centennial, Colorado, United States

Monday, September 21, 2009

Jobs in the United States

There is an interesting graph at this website about jobs in the United States. After spending some time looking at the data, what do you notice?

5 Comments:

Blogger janiep2013 said...

I thought this graph was very interesting. The main thing that I noticed was the major differences bewteen genders. Overall, men seem to have WAY more jobs than women, which I find to be kind of for our time era.
I know that in like the 1940's and 1950's and before, there were many many many stay at home women/mothers, but I thought that may have changed over time.

Monday, September 21, 2009 3:18:00 PM  
Blogger Jason B said...

I thought this was very interesting graph because I noticed that almost no occupations had both male and female genders. If they did it was just a thin line. Also I noticed that most of the jobs involving some sort of assistant was all female. Such as the secretary or adviser. Another thing is the biggest jobs were managed by males. Farmers, Farm Managers and manager/owner all were male occupations. Most of the jobs on the graph got smaller as the years went on and i thought they would have gotten larger.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger CassieH said...

I thought the graph was very interesting. I noticed that as the graph came closer to modern day there were no jobs that just took up a huge chunk like farm jobs did 1850- around 1930. I noticed that in modern day there are a lot more jobs then there were in 1850. Like Janie I saw that there were many more jobs for men then there is for women. I really liked how this graph showed you that the popularity of jobs change overtime.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:47:00 PM  
Blogger SightedAxis said...

I noticed that there are almost no household workers now, but that when there were they were mainly feminine jobs as well as assistant positions. This is contradictory to the most of the graph in which the jobs are a male dominated field.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:58:00 PM  
Blogger Seraphim said...

I think CassieH is right it is amazing how much the amount of farmers decreased. It's not like the demand for food went down. I didn't realize farming could be affected so drastically by industrialization. Anyone have answers on how that happened?

Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home