The Devil's Advocate

Crosby's Position: A teacher's job is not to tell students what to think. A teacher's job is to encourage students TO think.

Name:
Location: Centennial, Colorado, United States

Monday, October 19, 2009

DADT

Last week we branched out to discuss the military's Don't Ask Don't Tell policy while discussing military service during the Great War. Here is a related article. Do you have thoughts to share that you did not get a chance to share during class? Please remember to be as respectful in debate on this blog as you are in class.

2 Comments:

Blogger janiep2013 said...

I'm confused after reading this article.

First, so they were saying at the end that it isn't a law? So does that make it a norm or like general poilcy to follow this regulation? What would be the consequences if someone didn't follow it?

And secondly, I'm curious if there have been any other issues and debates where officials experienced the "DADT" policy/norm/not law thing.

Examples please!!!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger ruthieg2013 said...

Janie, I thought that the article said that this was a law, and the government wanted to repeal it. I do agree with you some parts of this article were confusing.
I think that it would be good if they repealed this law. I think that people in the military should be mature enough to handle if someone is gay, and like Mark Udall said, “As we fight in two wars, it's counterproductive — and, frankly, expensive — to discharge men and women who have critical skills we need to win those wars just because they're gay.” It wouldn't be very smart just to get rid of people because they are gay and other people found out, those people could do something amazing and never get the chance.

Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home