The Devil's Advocate

Crosby's Position: A teacher's job is not to tell students what to think. A teacher's job is to encourage students TO think.

Name:
Location: Centennial, Colorado, United States

Friday, November 06, 2009

Treason?

Article 3 of the U.S. Constitution states: "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."

In Iron Jawed Angels there was a discussion regarding whether or not picketing the office of the president during a war is treasonous behavior. So, is it treasonous to picket the office of the president during a time of war?

3 Comments:

Blogger ruthieg2013 said...

I think that to picket a wartime president makes a big statement. That was the exact statement that women needed though in my opinion. I do not think that picketing in a time of war should be considered treason because I am not sure that those women were necessarily "levying war" or giving their enemies aid and comfort. I am a little unclear about "levying war" which makes my answer to this question a bit weaker.

Saturday, November 07, 2009 9:03:00 PM  
Blogger SightedAxis said...

Picketing a wartime president should not be qualified as treason because the picketers are not helping the enemy in any way; picketing provides neither comfort or aid to any side.

Sunday, November 08, 2009 4:35:00 PM  
Blogger janiep2013 said...

Well I don't believe that it should be treason, but picketing during wartime is definetly a huge statement to the president and the country.
I guess if I was the president, I would feel as though I was under even more stress if someone was picketing during war. I'd probably not vote for anything that they wanted to get passed, and after a while just ignore them.
But, also I agree with what Ruthie said about this being the statement needed. If they wanted the law to be changed SOOO bad, then power to them to fight for their rights no matter what people thought.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home